From first steps to great achievements
Pentland Brands Limited, a Pentland Group plc owned company, is a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, Ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK and have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste Chaussures.
Building a family of brands for the world to love, generation after generation
Our brands are there in the moments that matter, from first steps to great achievements. In an ever-changing world, we want to be there for more people, in more of those moments. This drives everything we do.
Like the great athletes and ambassadors we have the privilege to work with, we’re a constant work in progress, an evolving story.
We are at our best when we’re bold in our decisions, focused in our actions and playing to our strengths.
As a family business, not a corporation, we believe in the power of the collective. Every individual has the power to help shape the Pentland of the future.
Your potential is our potential, and it’s our relationships that build and grow brands that last.
We are Pentland Brands and together we make brands matter.
Over the past year we’ve transformed our business and acquired new brands and licenses.
Our strategy is to grow our portfolio of brands, over the long-term, so that more people, see, buy and love our brands. We’ll do this by investing in our people, our platforms and our brand portfolio and continuing to look at new brand investment opportunities.
We believe that ‘good business is good for business’. This includes becoming a more sustainable organisation and building brands with a social purpose.
- We take our first steps selling shoes.
- We start to manufacture shoes and continue to grow the business.
- We’re one of the first European companies to source shoes in Asia, which allows us to grow faster.
- We open an office in Hong Kong, which remains at the heart of our sourcing business today.
- We start selling skateboards, shoes, handbags, luggage and sportswear.
- We buy a majority stake in a small athletic footwear brand called Reebok for $77,500.
- Reebok launches the world’s first shoe designed for aerobic exercise. A turning point for Reebok is the introduction of coloured running shoes.
- We’re appointed UK distributor for Italian tennis and ski brand ellesse and fashion footwear brand Kickers.
- We buy leading performance swimwear brand Speedo.
- We sell our share in Reebok for $770 million.
- We become the worldwide footwear licensee for the French tennis fashion brand, Lacoste Chaussures.
- We add outdoor brand Berghaus and ellesse to our family of owned brands.
- The original football brand, Mitre International, joins the family.
- We buy London fashion label Red or Dead and athletic fashion footwear brand KangaROOS.
- We become the worldwide licensee for London fashion brand Ted Baker footwear.
- We buy the London fashion brand Boxfresh.
- We buy rugby brand Canterbury of New Zealand and the Californian casual lifestyle sneaker brand, SeaVees.
- We buy the cycling apparel brand, and Movistar Team clothing partner, Endura.
- We’re appointed the global footwear licensee for Karen Millen.
Awards & recognition
You know you’re getting it right when others start taking notice. Here are some of our proudest achievements:
In 2017, Berghaus celebrated ‘Gold’ at the ISPO Awards for its innovative Hyper 100 Jacket.
Leading international enterprise
We are honoured to have won six Queen’s Awards for Enterprise. These are the most prestigious UK awards for business performance. Most recently, we were awarded The Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the International Trade category for 2018.
Building a successful, growing and dynamic business
In 2017, we were awarded two prestigious family business awards – The EY UK Family Business of Excellence award and the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) Global Family Business International Award.
One of the best places to work
In 2016, the Great Place to Work Institute named us one of the Best Workplaces in the UK. We were named as 11th in the ‘Best Large Company’ category, the highest ranking family company and the only sports, outdoor or fashion brand-owner to make the list. We were also recognised as the 16th Best Large Workplace in Europe.
Passionate about developing our people
We were delighted to receive two accolades at CIPD People Management Awards 2014 for ‘Overall Winners’ and ‘Best Employee Engagement Initiative’. These awards recognised our innovative and engaging approach to the development of our people and the people-centred culture across our business.
Pentland Group plc
We’re part of Pentland Group plc. Read more about the group here.