As the importance of being a responsible business grows, our focus remains on understanding how we can reduce our carbon footprint and environmental impact.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. Creating brands that matter isn’t just an ambition for the short-term, which is why we’re looking at how we can work within our business to enhance our positive impact. Here are ten ways we’ve looked to work harder and go further in this area in 2019.
- SeaVees is trialling a new system in the US which allows customers to return their old shoes to a SeaVees store to be recycled
- Speedo is working with factories to reduce the water consumed in the creation of its products by 66%, saving 527 tons of water per year.
- Our in-house corporate responsibility team is continuing to investigate how we can reduce our business’ carbon footprint and source more sustainable options for the materials we use to create our products
- During this year’s Back To School season, Kickers traded the existing materials in its school shoes for cotton laces, recycled linings and recycled outsoles. The brand is planning to replicate this approach for all future seasons.
- Berghaus is extending the lifetime of its products by providing consumers with unlimited repairs.
- Endura pledges to plant a minimum of one million trees to help remove carbon from the environment – one tree for every piece of apparel sold.
- Pentland Brands donates 1% of its net profit to charitable causes
- Endura is researching how it can expand the number of products in its range that are made from recycled polyester. The team is also adopting the Madekind product initiative originally pioneered by Berghaus.
- Our Canterbury and Mitre brands are developing new cardboard packaging to replace plastic pouches
- ellesse is putting plans in place to create its first ever sustainable pool slider made from a 55% sugarcane foam sole and a recycled upper. The item will be released as part of its SS21 season.
Find out more about how we’re striving to be a responsible business for people and planet in our latest Corporate Responsibility review.