Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
To create compelling apparel design solutions for the outdoor consumer. Work with the Head of Design and senior design team with design workload management. Lead and manage the core design team to create technical and irresistible products. Develop a team of designers at various levels. Inspire core team to design and develop outdoor apparel answering challenging and complex design briefs. Responsible for own portfolio of work ensuring that the brand DNA, creative direction and seasonal strategies are implemented through all concepts and designs. To be a leader for the core design team, driving product aesthetics to the highest level while retaining commercial viability and delivering compelling, consumer led global designs and ranges. Collaborate across multiple areas to ensure alignment from insights through design and development to key sell ins and brand presentations.
The role you’d play:
- Responsible for conceptualizing and delivering market leading outdoor products, meeting seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining brand DNA, VBL and guidelines.
- Research & contribute in the creation of seasonal direction, trend overviews, and design direction materials.
- Deliver consumer focused designs aligned with allocated category or range direction, whilst still achieving key commercial targets.
- Create detailed tech packs for design development and upload all designs to PLM system in brand format.
- Responsible for mid and junior level members of the design team delivering allocated designs, from concept through CAD work, colour application, technical specs, prototypes and updates, on time in full
- Manage the team to create compelling and consistent design handwriting across multiple categories and ranges. Balance irresistible aesthetics with credible performance and technical needs.
- Drive product aesthetics to the highest level while closely managing commercial viability and delivering compelling global designs and ranges
- Ensure your team’s designs are aligned with focus customer’s needs, working closely with development and product assurance to create irresistible product.
- Responsible for critical path management across core ranges, ensuring on time delivery of products.
- Deliver designs in a clear concise and consistent format with detailed renderings and technical drawings.
- Attend and present at key meetings, from design reviews to customer sell ins and sales launch.
- Work with Head of Design and Senior Design team to create consumer focused, trend led and commercial colour palettes and merchandising stories.
- Contribute, to updating and improving Visual Brand Identity aligned to brand positioning and DNA
- Lead core design team in proto reviews ensuring design integrity is maintained through to final sign-off.
- Support Head of design and senior design team in any other design strategy activity.
- Manage key customer exclusive ranges and designs alongside core products.
- Support Development Team to deliver design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process.
- Challenge development team to manufacture products to the highest standards. Take a hands-on approach creating samples, mock-ups patterns and prototypes where required to support intent.
- Maintain communication with superiors at all times throughout the process ensuring your message is clearly understood
- Any other activities commensurate with the level of this role
The must haves:
- Educated to degree level or robust experience in Design, Sports, Fashion or a related consumer-led field.
- Proven Design and development experience in a sports / outdoor brand aligned to the Brand or category.
- Proven experience of creating market leading technical Outdoor apparel.
- Clear understanding and consideration of pattern making, draping, materials, trims, garment fit, construction and manufacturing processes.
- Consumer focused with a strong technical bias within their given design specialism
- Experience of international market trends and subtleties balanced with the importance of originality
- An active participant of outdoor activities and a thorough understanding of the outdoor market.
- Clear understanding and consideration of construction and manufacturing methods in design solutions
- Ability and strong understanding of "design to cost" and "design for manufacture"
- Proficient in Adobe suite & Microsoft office plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills.
- Proven ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines, managing time efficiently.
- Able to manage and work to multiple seasons deadlines and adept at multi-tasking.
- Organised, structured and comfortable working with a minimum of supervision on both short-term and long-term objectives.
- Collaborates effectively to develop trustful relationships with peers across the business, particularly within the product leadership team.
- Ability to work across multiple functions with experience of working in a matrix structure a benefit
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Strong management experience and enthusiastic to support team members, mentoring, coaching and actively sharing knowledge and experience
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home
- Team player who thrives in collaborative creative environments.
- Confident in making design decisions and able to challenge upwards and across functions appropriately
- Pushes oneself to exceed expectations
- Is perceived as extremely credible and an expert in the outdoor industry. Global experience an advantage
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.