This role can be based in London (Finchley), Nottingham or Sunderland
In this role you will have the autonomy and authority to shape and lead Speedo’s special projects program delivering global and regional propositions that excite and delight swim consumers. These propositions will not only deliver an incremental commercial opportunity for our business but will also help shift brand perception.
In this role you’ll combine both design and product management experience with an entrepreneurial mind set, allowing you not only to identify opportunities but shape and deliver them with the permission to find new creative ways to move with pace and agility outside of the brands seasonal calendars.
Working shoulder to shoulder with Brand, Design, Development, Innovation, Insights and Customer functions you’ll embed a shared vision and ambition behind each opportunity to deliver a complete proposition to market that moves the hearts and minds of our consumers.
This role reports into the Global VP Category with a dotted line into the Global SVP Design.
Founded in Bondi, Australia in 1928, Speedo was born to make waves.
Within a year we set our first world record in the world's first non-woollen suit… and so our winning streak began.
Speedo were the first to bare arms… and ankles, and knees. Placing performance above modesty, our designers stripped away inches of cloth in pursuit of speed and defied convention. In 1932, aged just 16, Clare Dennis won Olympic Gold at the Los Angeles Games only to have her medal challenged for ‘indecency’ after showing too much shoulder-blade in her Speedo Racerback suit. She kept her medal, and Speedo kept pushing forwards.
In 2008, fuelled by eighty years of innovation, Speedo swept the board at the Beijing Olympics winning 89% of all medals. FINA and the IOC soon stepped in to ban our technology, and level the playing field. Speedo continue to dominate.
In 2020 Speedo International bought Speedo North America from PVH, uniting two separate entities and paving the way for a truly global brand.
Today, Speedo is the world’s #1 swimwear brand, worth c. $1.3bn at retail and sold in over 170 markets – we are never content to sit on our hands. Our focus on creating the fastest and best swimwear in the world remains, but we are also setting our sights on new frontiers – becoming the world’s most sustainable swimwear brand whilst ensuring that every body feels at home in the water.
We’re looking for the world’s best talent to join lead our team and take our brand to the next level.
Come and be part of it.
Pioneering Brands that Make Life Better
We are Pentland Brands, a global business touching the lives of millions through some of the worlds most-loved active and footwear brands. We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture with Lacoste footwear.
We have a rich and remarkable history, of family, of ambition and of innovation, of leading from the front with a legacy of outstanding brands and equally outstanding people. Of pioneering brands that make life better. Brands that create an emotional connection with our consumers and help keep people on the move. Brands that do good, that form part of a positive business that takes action for people and planet.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop because we know this is an exceptional place to build brands and build your career. We want you to come to work every day excited about what we can achieve when we have a clear and single-minded focus on being consumer-centric and relentlessly focused on improving our performance.
Always guided by our principles, we not only do a great job, but we also do it in the right way; success is a team game; with clarity and courage; better as standard; in good conscience. We believe every individual has the power to shape the Pentland of the future, by making sure that every day we’re better than the day before. Join our team of passionate, exceptional individuals, and do the best work of your life.
The role you’d play:
- Define the Speedo special projects proposition roadmap in support of the brand strategy
- Provide key market data and insights for new and exciting projects through competitor analysis, market visits and innovation
- Analyse key market data, consumer needs data and sales data to develop and manage projects relevant for target markets to support delivery of the product roadmap
- Determine product capsules to support regional and global accelerated growth
- Explore and define innovation and collaboration opportunities that deliver positive commercial return or brand perception improvements supportive of brand plans and strategies
- Determine range architecture based on analysis of consumer and competitor product benchmarking, where applicable.
- Manage delivery of range architecture, SCO count & productivity, product mix, indicative pricing strategy, product segmentation & margin
- Define, deliver and execute critical path calendars for specific consumer needs
- Write, submit and manage timely delivery of briefs to design and development teams ensuring design output is pushing the boundaries of product design
- Work collaboratively with development and supply chain functions to identify new ways of working to deliver projects with speed and agility
- Approve product capsule design & FOB costings
- Co-ordination of product claims testing and validation
- Management of IP (design & patents), tooling and NPD development
- Management of liability materials, fabrics and screen charges
- Write, submit and manage briefs to the packaging team & brand management for required product packaging & swing tickets
- Ensure safety compliance standards are met
- Consolidate product detail information (e.g. features & benefits) to support creation of brand marketing materials and training for sales teams and other adjacent functions
- Collaboratively work with the Brand team and PCA to create photoshoot briefs and attend each photoshoot to ensure delivery of regional photoshoot requirements
- Creation of regional launch tools to facilitate sales training
- Support regional product launches, sell-in and attend regional meetings for UK & EMEA
- Ownership of product trackers project by project
- Identify and support implementation of process improvement opportunities
- Operate effectively in a matrix structure, working closely with key functional stakeholders:
Regional Brand Manager, Business Development Managers, Senior CS&P Manager, Merchandising Managers, Technical Managers, Planning Managers, Pricing Analyst, Product Developers, Materials Technologist, Designers
Travel – as required by the business to perform this role
Regional Launches & Key Meetings (EMEA & UK)
What you'll bring:
- Design and product management experience
- A consumer centric mindset and experience of translating insights into product initiatives delivering against consumer needs and pain points
- A proven track record of identifying and delivering new propositions to market that have generated incremental sales and brand ‘buzz’
- A drive to excite, surprise and delight consumers in new and unexpected ways
- An entrepreneurial mind set with the ability to explore new possibilities with a solution focussed, can do attitude
- A comfort with the need to define new approaches and ways of working to bring new propositions to market with pace and agility
- Solid product management experience, preferably in swimwear or a related category.
- Understanding of product lifecycle management (C2C) including how commercial and development changes / decisions impact other functions
- Strong analytical and reporting skills and ability to translate this into results
- Proven influencing skills with excellent presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to present ideas and gain commitment at a senior management level
- Capable negotiation skills
- A creative thinker
- A self-starter who can interpret insights into opportunity
- A team player with a positive, collaborative mind set
- Comfortable with ambiguity with the ability to navigate it effectively
- Constantly showing initiative, being responsive to change and solving problems
- Passionate about product with an ability to understand consumer needs
- Able to work and communicate cross-functionally at a variety of levels both internally and externally
- Perceived as credible with an expertise in your area and ability to challenge in pursuit of delivering objectives
- Driven by delivery; self-motivated with a resilience to drive initiatives from beginning to end
- Flexibility to work independently or within a team and to travel as the role requires
- Competent with PC or MAC, PLM and Illustrator
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.