Berghaus is one of those rare brands: a pioneer in what we do. For over 50 years, we’ve been
making great value, durable kit that gets you out and keeps you out. We’re fortunate enough to look
back on a rich history of innovations that have not only steered us into market-leading positions but
have fundamentally changed the category for the better.
Yet despite this heritage, we have been quiet for the last few years. In fact, we would go as far as
saying we lost our way a bit. But that’s all about to change. Our guiding mandate right now is to put
this brand rightfully back on the outdoors map and reclaim our status as one of the originals.
We’re getting closer to consumers to create products that will be talked about, reconstructing how the
brand shows up, showcasing our ranges like never before, and collaborating in new and original
To propel us forward, we’re looking for the very best talent to join our journey to transform
one of the world’s most iconic outdoor brands by putting the Berghaus back into Berghaus.
As part of the Global Materials Team, you will collaborate with our Footwear and Backpack Development, Design and Innovation teams as well as external partners, to research, source and develop new materials.
You will act as a technical support throughout the product creation process to advise on material selection, ensure performance standards are upheld and identify new opportunities to advance materials across our lifestyle and performance ranges.
- Build vendor relationships and identify opportunities to evolve supplier network
- Work cross-functionally to uncover new opportunities and advance Footwear and Backpack materials
- Coordinate materials testing internally/externally ensuring performance standards are met
- Analyse test reports and provide recommendations for improvement where required
- Collaborate with development and design teams on material selection, acting as technical support to ensure materials are fit for end use
- Manage Footwear and Backpack material database using our PLM system
- Develop and maintain Footwear and Backpack materials library in line with Global Standards
- Assist with Footwear and Backpack Innovation Projects when required
- Work with the Materials Manager to implement sustainability strategy and achieve wider business goals
- Stay up to date with new technology/advancements in materials
- Degree in Textile Technology, Textile Chemistry or Related fields
- Material research, sourcing and development experience
- Understanding of polymeric materials and how they are applied in design and product engineering including familiarity with molding and foaming
- Ability to self-manage, prioritise work and multitask with strong attention to detail
- A desire to work collaboratively across the global business
- Able to identify, work with and influence key stakeholders
- A passion for performance brands and curiosity to explore new concepts
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken with proven experience working internationally across global teams
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required
What you’ll get in return
- Competitive remuneration package
- Hybrid / smart working
- Brand and retail perks
- Financial perks
- Travel perks
- Time out perks
- Wellbeing commitment
Who we are:
Pioneering Brands that Make Life Better
We are Pentland Brands, a global business touching the lives of millions through some of the world’s most-loved active and footwear brands. We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, Ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture with Lacoste footwear.
We have a rich and remarkable history, of family, of ambition and of innovation, of leading from the front with a legacy of outstanding brands and equally outstanding people. Of pioneering brands that make life better. Brands that create an emotional connection with our consumers and help keep people on the move. Brands that do good, that form part of a positive business that takes action for people and planet.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop because we know this is an exceptional place to build brands and build your career. We want you to come to work every day excited about what we can achieve when we have a clear and single-minded focus on being consumer-centric and relentlessly focused on improving our performance.
Always guided by our principles, we not only do a great job, but we also do it in the right way; success is a team game; with clarity and courage; better as standard; in good conscience. We believe every individual has the power to shape the Pentland of the future, by making sure that every day we’re better than the day before. Join our team of passionate, exceptional individuals, and do the best work of your life.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.
Apply for this position