Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
The role you’d play:
To create compelling industrial design solutions for the Teamsports consumer
Responsible for delivering consumer led global designs which align to the brand DNA and seasonal creative direction under guidance from the Teamsports Design Lead and line manager.
Collaborate across multiple areas to gain alignment and engagement – particularly colleagues within industrial design in swim and outdoor.
- In collaboration with the Industrial Designer, support the delivery of industrial design aligned with Brand seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining Brand DNA, VBL and branding guidelines;
- Monitors development of projects, interacting with Development, Materials, QC Lab.
- Ownership of Teamsports SMU design requirements within industrial design.
- Research product and design trends, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports following each research visit as required.
- Contribute to the creation of the seasonal creative direction, trend overviews, colour and mood boards through the Industrial Design lens
- Support the delivery of design work as required based on seasonal or brand workload, from concept through to CAD work, colour overviews, creation of tech packs and updates, through to uploading data onto PLM (or similar).
- Support the design creation of more complex, technical or strategically important NPD / Innovation initiatives that are critically vital to Brand’s plans, working closely with Teamsports Design Lead and Innovation Lead.
- Be aware of commercial targets & product KPIS, working with the line manager to ensure own designs deliver against the targets (whilst pushing creative boundaries)
- Ensure all design activity is delivered on time against seasonal C2C deadlines.
- Responsible for delivering allocated ‘own’ designs in line with the Brand seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining Brand DNA, VBL and guidelines at all time.
- Ensure own designs have a coherent and compelling offer to seamlessly merchandise into product categories and range, combining desirable aesthetics with credible performance or technical needs
- Deliver designs in a clear and concise format and present at design reviews, with detailed renderings and technical specifications in the required format in Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Participate in proto reviews & support the Development Team with design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process.
- Maintain communication with Manager, stakeholders and colleagues at all times throughout the process ensuring your message is clearly understood and expectations are managed
- Contribute, as required, to updating and maintaining Visual Brand Identity aligned to brand positioning and DNA
- Any other activities commensurate with the level of this role
The must haves:
- Industrial design experience within a sporting / lifestyle brand aligned to the Brand or category you’ll be working on, or transferable experience from a consumer-led category
- Consumer focused with a strong technical bias within their given design specialism
- Strong sense of market trends balanced with the importance of originality through invention
- A general understanding of "design cost" and "design for manufacture'' throughout the design creation process and consideration of manufacturing processes and limitations – tooling, materials, finishes, construction, assembly.
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, and 3d modelling. Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills. Knowledge of Rhinoceros 4.0 and Solid works an advantage.
- An ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines
- Collaborates effectively to maintain and develop trustful relationships with peers across the business or multiple functions and within the product team
- Ability to collaborate across multiple functions
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills
- Communicates with enthusiasm
- Understands cultural differences
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home when required
- Enthusiastic about design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic to help us improve and grow
- A champion of the consumer perspective through design
- Self-motivated and equally comfortable working within a team
- Demonstrate the ability to use own initiative and assumes accountability
- A good communicator, both interpersonally and within a group conveying strong brand empathy and creates an environment of open, two-way communication
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task or re-prioritise as required
- Organized and structured with their work load
- Asks questions and seeks understanding first
- Pushes oneself to exceed expectations
- Adaptable, versatile, resilient and open minded
- Confident and assertive to share own view, value different perspectives and resolve conflict
- Able to work across a matrix structure with key functions and stakeholder; supporting the team in delivering goals.