Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Key Purpose of Job:
Responsible for delivering consumer led global designs which align to the brand DNA and seasonal creative direction under guidance from the Creative Lead and line manager.
Collaborate across multiple areas to gain alignment and engagement
- In collaboration with the Designer or Senior Designer, support the delivery of consumer-focused designs aligned with allocated category and/or range direction.
- Research product and design trends, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports following each research visit
- Contribute to the creation of the seasonal creative direction, trend overviews, colour and mood boards
- Be aware of commercial targets & product KPIS, working with the line manager to ensure own designs deliver against the targets (whilst retaining creativity).
- Support the delivery of design work as required based on seasonal or brand workload, from concept through to CAD work, colour overviews, creation of technical specifications and updates, through to uploading data onto PLM (or similar).
- Ensure all design activity is delivered on time against seasonal C2C deadlines.
- Responsible for delivering allocated ‘own’ designs in line with the Brand seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining Brand DNA, VBL and guidelines at all time.
- Ensure own designs have a coherent and compelling offer to seamlessly merchandise into product categories and range, combining desirable aesthetics with credible performance or technical needs
- Deliver designs in a clear and concise format and present at design reviews, with detailed renderings and technical specifications in the required format in Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Participate in proto reviews & support the Development Team with design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process.
- Maintain communication with superiors at all times throughout the process ensuring your message is clearly understood
- Contribute, as required, to updating and maintaining Visual Brand Identity aligned to brand positioning and DNA
- Any other activities commensurate with the level of this role
What you need to have:
- Design experience within a sporting / outdoor / lifestyle brand aligned to the Brand or category you’ll be working on, or transferable experience from a consumer-led category
- An understanding and consideration of footwear fit/construction and manufacturing processes.
Strong creative and trend skills
- A passion for fashion and an understanding of the consumer market and landscape
- A general understanding of "design cost" and "design for manufacture'' throughout the design creation process
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills. Knowledge of Excel an advantage
- An ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines
- Collaborates effectively to maintain and develop trustful relationships with peers across the business or multiple functions and within the product team
- Ability to collaborate across multiple functions
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills
- Communicates with enthusiasm
- Understands cultural differences
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home when required
What we need to see in you:
- Enthusiastic about design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic
- Self-motivated and equally comfortable working within a team
- Demonstrate the ability to use own initiative
- A good communicator, both interpersonally and within a group conveying strong brand empathy
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task
- Organized and structured with their work load
- Asks questions and seeks understanding first
- Pushes oneself to exceed expectations
- Adaptable and versatile
This overview gives you a feel for what you’ll be doing day to day but it’s not an A to Z.