About Pentland Group
We are a family business with our Group headquarters based in an elegant office in Manchester Square London W1. The office provides a small and very friendly environment with a focus upon the Group’s investment activities. Our culture is people centred and the work environment reflects and supports this.
The Manchester Square office is the base for the Group’s global investment activities. These vary from taking direct stakes in a variety of businesses located in the UK and overseas to investing in and with a wide range of investment managers and firms – across private equity, venture capital, hedge funds and other alternative assets. At Manchester Square we handle all aspects of these investments and relationships. This includes sourcing, analysing, making, managing, monitoring, exiting and reporting on investments and developing and maintaining relationships with the entrepreneurs and investment managers with whom we partner. As well as control our investment activities, our Manchester Square office also provides the guidance, compliance, risk management and co-ordination required to ensure the future growth and success of the overall group.
Beyond Manchester Square the trading activities of Pentland Group include the global brand management of high profile consumer brands such as Speedo, Canterbury of NZ and Berghaus. Pentland Group is also the majority owner of the UK listed retail group JD Sports Fashion.
Investment Accountant in a growing and successful family investment office. The Group invests globally with a long term perspective both directly in businesses and into and co-investing alongside venture capital and private equity funds. Individuals are expected to perform to a high standard, take responsibility for and think through the implications of their work.
As Investment Accountant you will lead a small team of 2-3 subordinates responsible for the day to day financial operations and reporting directly to the Group’s Investment Director, with a dotted line to the Group CFO.
You will lead all monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and support the production of investment committee and board papers, management accounts and fair value analyses. You will seek ways to enhance existing finance processes and systems, including managing new accounting system implementation projects in line with industry best practice.
You will assist in the analysis of prospective and current investments and in the provision of timely collation and analysis of the performance of the Group’s investment portfolio.
You will be primarily responsible for the data analytics of the underlying investment portfolio, including ownership of our bespoke SAP based investment analytics platform and dashboard. You will be an advanced user of MS Excel, experienced in financial modelling and proficient in MS PowerPoint. You will be familiar with the accounting standard and approaches for alternative assets including private equity, venture capital and managed funds. Your knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS needs to be sound.
Ideally, you will have experience in corporate finance or transaction services and/or senior buyside fund accounting. You will be familiar with valuing investments and confident in carrying out financial due diligence on prospective or existing investments.
You will be responsible for leading the investment division’s statutory audit, including group and smaller subsidiaries/entities. You will have experience in project managing teams.
- To provide accounting expertise in all areas to support the investment activities of the group, including financial due diligence on potential investments and accounting guidance for investee businesses.
- To provide day to day support for the execution, subsequent monitoring and administration of funds deployed with third party fund managers or in other investments.
- To provide the directors with timely analysis and KPIs of the investment activity of the Group, including changes in valuations, on a monthly basis.
- To develop further and enhance the Group’s bespoke SAP based data analytics platform and interactive dashboard.
- To perform detailed valuations and financial modelling on potential and existing portfolio companies.
- To provide transactional accounting, recording and reporting for the Group’s head office and investment entities.
- To provide an effective communications link between head office and the financial accounting and consolidation teams based in the subsidiaries.
- To assist in the information collation and overview of the financial performance of certain small trading subsidiaries.
- Prepare annual budget and forecast and prepare quarterly management company performance analyses (budget vs actual).
- To prepare monthly management and statutory flash reports and commentary on underlying investment performance, liaising as required with our internal functions such as Group Finance and other offices such as Pentland USA.
- Qualified ACA accountant with first time passes, 5+ years’ post qualification experience.
- Direct experience performing valuations.
- Advanced financial modelling skills.
- Detailed and advanced understanding of MS Oﬃce applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook)
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Corporate finance or transactions services would be a distinct advantage, alternatively a senior buyside fund accounting role.
- Private equity or venture capital industry helpful but not essential.
- SAP, Business Warehouse, Hyperion and PowerBI would be a distinct advantage.
- Preparation and review of UK GAAP statutory accounts.
- Be a self-starter, has personal drive and take responsibility and accountability for work.
- Meet deadlines while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Have strong analytical skills and be able to effectively communicate and present findings in a simple and engaging way.
- Be flexible and responsive, with the ability to deal with a wide variety of non-standard situations and investments.
- Be able to build good working relationships with internal and external partners, including group finance, IT, treasury, tax, HR, underlying investee businesses and external auditors.
- Be happy working in a small team environment based at head office and manage a team of 2-3, delegating work and supervising appropriately.
- Be willing to take on all aspects of the role with equal enthusiasm.
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.