Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
The role you’d play:
- Responsible for conceptualising and delivering Industrial Design against Brand seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining Brand DNA, VBL and branding guidelines;
- Monitors development of projects, interacting with Development, Materials, QC Lab.
- Manage design with a cradle-to-grave approach – ensure all following touch points are considered: consumer interaction; environment; transport and storage needs; manufacture; legal; packaging and communications
- To support and influence the Industrial Design Lead role in the development of creative direction;
- To support the design creation of complex, technical or strategically important NPD / Innovation initiatives that are critically vital to Brand’s plans, working closely with Head and Innovation Leads;
- Deliver consumer focused design solutions achieving consumer and commercial targets as set on the product design briefs;
- Ensure outputs have a coherent offer to seamlessly merchandise with other product categories, combining desirable aesthetics with credible performance / technical needs;
- To inspire the industrial design team to push creative boundaries;
- Presents at design and development reviews to ensure overall design intent is retained throughout the development process to final sign-off;
- Support Innovation Team and Development Team to deliver design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process
- Deliver outputs in a clear, concise and articulate format, with detailed information as required;
- Supports Technical and Development Teams to execute design intent through sourcing, working cross functionally with internal colleagues and vendors when required;
- Actively research the market, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports for wider design and product teams;
- Contribute towards cost saving solutions to achieve seasonal margin target whilst retaining creativity
- Any other activities commensurate with the level of this role
The must haves:
- Educated to degree level or similar experience, preferably within Industrial or Product Design or a related field or area
- Proven industrial design experience in a sporting brand aligned to the Brand or category you’ll be working on
- Consumer focused with a strong technical bias within their given design specialism
- Strong creative and trend skills, with a proven commercial background
- Strong sense of international market trends balanced with the importance of originality through invention
- A passion for swim activities and a thorough understanding of the swim market and landscape
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, and 3d modelling. Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills. Knowledge of Rhinoceros 6.0 and Keyshot 8 an advantage.
- Strong understanding and consideration of manufacturing processes and limitations – tooling, materials, finishes, construction, assembly.
- Proven ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines, managing time efficiently to achieve completion of a professional standard of work
- Able to manage and work to deadlines as well as multi-tasking
- Very organised, structured and comfortable working with a minimum of supervision towards meeting short-term and long-term objectives
- Collaborates effectively to maintain and develop trustful relationships with peers across the business or multiple functions and within the product team
- Ability to work across multiple functions with experience of working in a matrix structure a benefit
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Communicates with enthusiasm
- Understands cultural differences
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home
- A designer with solid record of delivering desirable consumer products in sports, equipment, footwear or other relevant industry;
- Assertive to resolve conflicting design arguments
- Enthusiastic about design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic
- Self-motivated and comfortable with constantly challenged to raise the bar
- A good communicator, both interpersonally and within a group conveying strong brand empathy
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task
- Pushes oneself to exceed expectations
- Is perceived as credible and an expert in the industrial design field
- Able to work across a matrix structure with key functions and stakeholders
- Adaptable, versatile and open minded
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.