Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
To create compelling industrial design solutions for the swim consumer.
The Industrial Design Engineer works closely with the Industrial Designers to successfully integrate the visual and functional elements of the product. Responsible for ensuring that our swim hardgoods product performance achieves the standards we wish to set and meets our consumer needs better than what has been available before through better engineered solutions that are feasible and viable for market launch.
Ensures that project timelines, target costs and quality of all swim hardgoods products are met throughout each stage of the development process from concept through to commercialisation by close and effective liaison with the Asia Development Engineering team.
The role you’d play:
- Responsible for supporting the Industrial Design team with creative engineering solutions to swim equipment and goggle design problems.
- Researching and designing details such as attachment and locking mechanisms for new product development projects.
- To inspire the Industrial Design team to push creative boundaries with state-of-the-art engineering solutions.
- Responsible for the creation of complex 3D CAD A and B surfaces for swim equipment and goggles products.
- Liaising between the Industrial Design and Asia Development Engineering teams with responsibility for handover of all technical documents and data for production tooling.
- Define how the product can meet performance requirements working closely with the Hardgoods Materials Manager.
- To support the design creation of complex, technical or strategically important new product developments and innovation initiatives that are critically vital to the Speedo brand plan.
- Manage the Hardgoods seasonal design sampling process.
- Deliver outputs in a clear, concise and articulate format, with detailed information as required.
- Support Technical and Development Teams to execute design intent through sourcing, working cross functionally with internal colleagues and vendors when required.
- Deliver consumer focused design solutions achieving consumer and commercial targets as set on the product design briefs.
- Contribute towards cost saving solutions to achieve seasonal margin targets whilst retaining creativity.
- Create new and valuable intellectual property (IP) through technical innovation.
- Manage external engineering partners and identify new opportunities to create competitive advantage through new technology and/or production methods.
- Apply virtual development tools to prove and validate designs prior to physical prototyping.
- Co-ordinate the prototyping process, from proof of principle models through to fully representative samples.
- Work with the Technology Centre teams in developing the prototyping facility and service to meet the business needs.
- Liaise with the Quality Assurance teams to set product test plans for new products.
- Ensure technologies and designs meet all performance measures and user needs through pool and lab testing.
The must haves:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent skills and expertise are required.
- A creative problem-solver with the ability to create innovative solutions to engineering problems.
- Exceptional knowledge of applied technologies and product construction, including ‘state of the art’ technologies and production methods within new product developments.
- Experience of creating A Class surfaces for production tooling.
- Experience of working within a product design environment, using computer aided engineering (CAE) tools and computational techniques to design and test product solutions.
- Design and refinement of plastic components using CAD, FEA, CFD and injection moulding simulation software such as Moldflow.
- Extensive experience of mass production techniques and processes in relation to consumer goods, including injection moulding and compression moulding.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (or similar) and 3D CAD design tools (SolidWorks, Rhino or similar) to explore and present design concepts and clearly define design intent.
- Able to design and implement attachment and locking mechanisms for swim products using CAD software (Solidworks ideally).
- Experience in establishing and successfully implementing time critical plans and meeting strategic objectives.
- Experience of working with advanced product manufacturers and external global experts.
- Demonstrable skills in the practical, hands-on approach to prototyping and problem solving.
- Experience in understanding and translating consumer needs into product opportunities.
- Proven ability to educate others in engineering principles and the various tools employed.
- Proven ability to work well within a cross functional team.
- Experience in tailoring communication style and content dependent on the audience as well as understanding cultural differences.
- Must be a good verbal and written communicator.
- Highly collaborative and keen to push themselves and the team forward in a positive way.
- Driven to make things better than they are currently, but patient enough to know this sometimes takes time.
- Have empathy with the consumer to ensure they remain at the heart of what we do.
- Willing to move outside their comfort zone to push the envelope of what can be done.
- Curious and driven to look externally and laterally for inspiration that drives ideas.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions.
- Able to balance what would be incredible with what is achievable.
- Able to firmly convey their knowledge and expertise within the team, yet open to input and different points of view.
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.