Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Key Purpose of Job:
The Head of Sales - China is responsible for leading nationwide sales and distribution strategies across all brands in the Active division with focus on brand Speedo in the initial phase and will be responsible for leading the roll out of a retail store network in Shanghai. It will be leading the sales organization in all channels including wholesale, retail, team sales and POU (point of usage), identifying commercial opportunities, increasing availability for target consumers, providing best service and shopping experience to customers and consumers. and that they
Establish & own the strategies, objectives and goals of all sales channels mentioned above and ensure they are being delivered by leading the sales organization effectively and working closely with the brand, product, demand, supply, Go-to-Market, finance and HR teams.
Protect Speedo’s brand position in the market of China. Ensure high quality and consistencies of implementation across all channels in terms of brand image including retail operations, visual merchandising, pricing and promotional activities.
Establish and maintain professional and excellent business partnership with customers including wholesalers, mall developers, department store management, key accounts and decision makers in strategic POU’s.
- Continue to build and develop excellent sales and distribution management as well as retail operation teams to provide customers and consumers the best experience of Pentland’s brands.
- Lead the implementation of sales and distribution strategies in China to deliver expected commercial results including sales value, volume quantity, profitability, per square meter productivity, like-for-like growth target, market share, Sales Orderbook conversion rate, forecast accuracy, cost and staff turnover rate.
- Assist and support Head of Commercial China in developing business plans, commercial plans, annual budget plans and driving related business planning processes.
- Provide adequate training and coaching to the sales management teams on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement of sales operations and management.
- Work cross functionally with Brand, G-T-M, Product, Digital and Sports Marketing teams to identify business growth opportunities and develop activities to optimize growth.
- Collaborate and align with related functions in terms of company priorities and sales strategies so to achieve business objectives.
- Develop and propose annual trading terms and incentive schemes as well as get approvals according to company policies and procedures. Implement and drive the approved trading terms and incentive schemes accordingly.
- Drive bottom-up monthly sales forecasts and develop annual budgets according to planning process requirement.
- Conduct annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly KPIs and goal setting for the team, develop relevant and adequate pay schemes to incentivize sales teams based on pay for performance. Drive regular analysis and review within the sales organizations.
- Provide regular assessment and reports of the competition in terms of sales & distribution network, pricing structure and retail operations.
- Monitor closely market movement and sales development so to come up speedy actions for optimizing sales opportunities, delivering highest possible growth and achieving adequate stock on hand.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with all business partners to ensure sustainable business development.
- Evaluate regularly customers’ credit situation and manage business risks proactively.
- Embrace and drive Pentland culture and principles – Success is a Team game, With Clarity and Courage, Better as Standard, In Good Conscience - in day to day operations
What you need to have:
- Significant experience of managing sales and distribution through different business models such as wholesale and retail.
- Significant experience of working with a global or multi-national brand and in multi-culture environment.
- Experienced at National Sales Manager level within branded FMCG, Sports, Leisure or Fashion sectors with deep understanding of major key accounts and China market.
- Strong understanding with experience in both retail and wholesale operations and delivering multiple KPIs incl. sales value, volume, margins, discounts, credit, stock turn & order book.
- Shrewd negotiator – Formal negotiation training desired.
- Strong planning & organisation skills.
- Strong persuasive & influencing skills
- Strong people skills and leadership
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
What we need to see in you:
- An excellent communicator with adequate written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- A good relationship builder, with both customers and colleagues alike.
- Determined and self-motivated with a passion for goal delivery.
- Able to quickly and easily integrate and influence cross-functionally at local level within the business.
- PC literate; particularly on Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong persuasive & influencing skills, with high cultural sensitivity and self-awareness.
- Working knowledge of Chinese contract law & competition law is preferable
- Experience of having worked in a matrix environment preferable.
- Native Speaker in Mandarin & Simplified Chinese, fluency in English, written and spoken
- Successful delivery of overall sales performance for China nationally.
- Successful delivery of a consistent brand image across channels.
- Successful stakeholder relationships across all functions, customers and consumers.
- Positive 360 feedback from peers and direct reports.
- A leader with the gravitas and EQ to effectively influence and engage stakeholders at all levels as well as motivate and manage a high performing team
- An exceptional & relationship builder, with both customers and colleagues from around the world
This overview gives you a feel for what you’ll be doing day to day but it’s not an A to Z.