Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Key Purpose of Job:
The Head of Business Development – Footwear and Fashion, Asia Pacific is responsible for leading the regional growth strategy for the ellesse brand plus wider footwear and fashion brands in the portfolio. ellesse aims to become a global sportswear brand over the coming years leveraging its sport and style heritage. With limited distribution and high interest from retailers across Asia the brand is uniquely positioned to build a new apparel, footwear and accessories business across Greater China and South East Asia. The role will effectively lead this start-up business and drive rapid expansion over the next 3-5 years.
Working with a network of existing and new distribution partners the HOBD will be responsible for leading the distribution expansion via mono-brand stores, key retailers and sports accounts. The role will establish & own the strategies, objectives and goals of all sales channels working closely with the brands, product, demand, supply, Go-to-Market, finance and HR teams. It will work with partners to ensure high quality and consistency of implementation across all channels in terms of brand image including retail operations, visual merchandising, pricing and promotional activities.
- A member of the Asia Commercial Leadership Team, proactively playing a role in making commercial capability a competitive advantage for the company.
- Manage a small team of direct reports and influence a wider multifunctional team (internally and with partners) in pursuit of our objectives.
- Contribute fully to the development of our 3-year Strategic Business Plan, continually challenging our ambitions and investing for growth in market share and profitability through market/region assessment.
- Recommend and select distribution partners in new markets.
- Lead complex negotiations with retailers/partners regarding areas such as channel/market pricing models, cross-border trading and licence & distribution agreements.
- Develop and maintain strong and trusted relationships with key partners and suppliers to maximise opportunities for brand growth, potential distribution and channel penetration.
- Work with partners to build and develop excellent annual Joint Business Plans and seasonal plans sales that deliver both brand and commercial targets and provide customers and consumers the best experience
- Instigate top to top meetings with our leading customers and ensure contact is held at all levels in the retailer/partner organisation. Major strategic initiatives are created together and cascaded.
- Be a key conduit for getting market intelligence, customer insight, and therefore commercial input into Brand Planning/Marketing.
- Advocate for Pentland’s Asian consumer in all areas – communications, digital, product – so as to maximise brand growth
- Monitor closely market movement and month-on-month sales development so to come up with speedy actions for optimizing sales opportunities, delivering highest possible growth and achieving adequate stock levels.
- Provide brand and category inspiration, training and coaching to the partner sales and brand teams on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement in sales operations and in-market execution
- Work cross functionally with Brand, Go-to-market, Product, Digital and Operations teams to identify business growth opportunities and develop activities to optimize growth.
- Execute our FBI (Fix, Build, Inspire) & Hybrid Key Account Strategies to ensure effective business building plans are in place with partners and for agreed Key Account targets in the region.
- Embrace and drive Pentland culture and principles – Success is a Team game, With Clarity and Courage, Better as Standard, In Good Conscience - in day to day operations
What you need to have:
- Strong commercial experience with a 10-year track record of successfully managing commercial teams and partner / distributor / licensee relationships across geographies.
- Experience in and gravitas to manage complex partner relationships (particularly in China) and effect change in partner’s performance, growth rate and alignment to strategy.
- Experience, connections and relationships in the footwear & apparel & sport industries are highly desirable. We have a desire to significantly upweight our talent and capability in fashion.
- Strong analytical skills, able to use diverse data streams to get to root cause & develop strategic options.
- Passion for leading & driving strong performance through diverse teams & cultures both internally and externally with partners.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, able to work across retailers, distributors & licensees.
- Advanced Negotiation skills training, comfortable using conflict to reach consensus.
- Strong planning & organising skills.
- A track record of developing commercial capability both in people & in processes & systems.
- Experience of Leading Managers across multiple locations/regions in a matrix organisation
- Understanding of Selling & Influencing methodologies
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Chinese. Spoken Mandarin fluency is essential
What we need to see in you:
- A change agent, able to deliver todays results whilst setting up Pentland Brands go to market model for the future within the regions.
- An inspiring leader that can story-tell, engage people and motivate teams, possessing the gravitas and EQ to effectively influence and engage stakeholders at all levels
- An exceptional relationship builder, with both customers and colleagues from around the world
- Determined and self-motivated with a passion for goal delivery
- Able to quickly and easily integrate and influence cross-functionally at local level within the business
- An Ambassador for Pentland externally, a role model of Pentland Values and a coach for team members
- A Leader in Commercial thinking, bringing the outside in, constantly developing their strategic and commercial skills
- Passionate about sport, fashion and footwear, a relatable fit for the industry
- PC literate; particularly on Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
This overview gives you a feel for what you’ll be doing day to day but it’s not an A to Z.