Job Title: Group Accountant
Brand/Department: Group Finance
Date: October 2021
Pentland Brands’ purpose is to create stakeholder value by building one of the world’s leading brand management groups in sports, outdoor and fashion
Pentland Brands was founded in the 1930's in Liverpool. It started life as a small shoe business and has grown into the UK's leading global brand management group in sports, outdoor and fashion. Pentland Brands owns the following brands globally: Speedo, Ellesse, Endura, Berghaus, Red or Dead, Mitre, Kangaroos and Boxfresh; and is also the UK distributor for Lacoste footwear and the UK and Ireland licensee for Kickers Footwear.
Pentland Brands is part of Pentland Group which was publicly listed on the London Stock Exchange until 1999, but was then taken private by the Rubin family. The Group is now privately owned in the UK by the Rubin family. Pentland is also the majority owner of JD Sports Fashion plc which operates over 2,600 stores in 20 territories, including over 850 JD stores as they continue to expand.
Our culture is people centred, and the work environment reflects and supports this. The Pentland values are at the heart of what we do and how we interact with the world around us.
Key Purpose of Job:
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an ACA/CA qualified accountant within the Statutory and Governance team (S&G) which would suit an individual looking to obtain a broad range of experience across the central finance function. It will require excellent interpersonal and technical accounting skills, flexibility and ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
The role will require liaising with senior management to ensure that the reporting requirements provided are relevant and accurate as well as providing support and guidance as required on some exciting projects.Responsibilities
Produce Management Accounts / Forecasts / Budgets / Month-end submissions
- Timely submissions of management accounts, forecast, budget and month end processes for several entities in the Pentland Group to SAP and Hyperion.
- Preparation of balance sheet reconciliations of several entities in the Pentland Group and follow up on variances with the respective business units/stakeholders.
- Responsible for the monthly postings and month-end tasks to ensure the completeness and accuracy of the general ledger.
Treasury / IT2
- Prepare analysis on interest and FX swaps for Treasury.
- Ownership of treasury (IT2 – treasury management tool) postings.
- Managing the opening/closure of accounting ledgers in SAP & uploading exchange rates to SAP, Hyperion and IT2.
- Ownership of payroll postings and balance sheet control accounts reconciliation responsibility.
- Provide support throughout the group consolidation process.
- Contribute towards the maintenance of the group chart of accounts and provide assistance to the users of our consolidation system
- Contribute towards the preparation of Pentland Group Board Pack and Pentland Group monthly management accounts for senior management review, which provides a clear and detailed understanding of the groups position and key messages for the Group Board to consider.
- Provide analysis, review of Associates & Investments, review information gap.
- Assist in the Preparation of the Quarterly Banking & Covenant Information for Treasury and helping to ensure group information reconciles against management forecasts.
- Assisting with the preparation of Group and legal entity statutory accounts.
- Support the Senior Group Accountant in managing and delivering required supporting schedules for the legal entity statutory audits.
- Assist in the provision of technical accounting advise as required by the business.
- Assist the Group Reporting Manager with group wide policy or process standardisation projects.
- Development of user guides and process notes for key team responsibilities and tasks.
- Other projects and ad-hoc work as required.
What you will bring:
- Qualified accountant, preferably with Big4 experience.
- Rigorous, with attention to detail
- Positive “can do” attitude, flexibility to change and proactive attitude to improve processes
- Have a confident approach to getting things done within a very demanding environment, able to meet deadlines.
- Experience in monthly reporting, preparing accounts, balance sheet controls & working with commercial teams.
- MS Office computer skills to advanced level
- Excellent stakeholder management – ensuring the needs of Group Finance and the Senior Management are met
- Ability to analyse financial data & discuss with non-finance customers
- Ability to see high level view
- Ability to influence.
- Pro-active, exceptionally well organised and able to prioritise
- Discreet with sensitive/confidential information
- Focused on performance, result, teamwork
- Hyperion & SAP Experience
- Consolidation Experience
This job description is not exhaustive, and you may be required to carry out other duties as requested