Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Creating Berghaus products can take time and patience. We are fastidious in our design process and painstakingly rigorous in the lengths we go to, to ensure our products meet the standards we demand from our Brand, and the trust levels that our customers have come to expect from us. As a result, our typical product innovation process can take between 18 and 24 months to go from concept to finished product
The Sprint Team, however, has a mandate to think differently!
Your role is part of a small fast-response team working in an agile way with an entrepreneurial attitude and at a lightning quick pace
To enable us to get new products to market faster, this team will operate with “out of the box” thinking and find innovative ways to work directly with our key customers to deliver commercial opportunities, without sacrificing quality, performance and CSR standards
You will be required to work across multiple Apparel categories and on projects ranging from Collabs, capsule collections, new ranges and new concepts, coupled with tweaks to existing core product ranges (Special Make-Up = SMUs’) to ensure we are making products that will succeed in the various markets we operate in
Working closely with Head of Design, Head of Category, Product Managers and our Commercial Teams, this customer-facing role is critical in helping identify, executing and delivery of customer-focused and consumer-led products, that are compelling and deliver against our brand commercial targets, strategic priorities and brand positioning
Working with the Senior designer, this role needs to deliver against the challenging and complex design briefs for all apparel categories and ranges in a fast-paced environment
Aligning with the Senior Designer and Head of Design, to ensure own work aligns to the brand DNA, creative direction and seasonal design direction regardless of range, end consumer and retailer requirements
Collaborate across multiple areas to gain alignment and engagement
The role you’d play:
- Working with the Senior Designer, commercial teams and key retailers, design allocated product opportunities that drive brand growth and/or perception with key retailers and in key markets
- Working across multiple apparel categories, deliver allocated designs for projects ranging from Collabs, capsule collections, new ranges and new concepts, coupled with tweaks to existing core products and SMUs’, both within the UK and our key focus markets in EMEA
- Responsible for ensuring all designs align with the brand strategy and positioning, creative and seasonal direction and meet product briefs and margin targets
- Contribute to clear concepts, mood boards and designs for each opportunity for sign-off by Senior Designer, Head of Design and Brand Director, on time and in full
- Deliver consumer and customer focused designs to achieve brand KPI’s, margins and commercial targets
- Ensure own designs have a coherent and compelling offer to seamlessly merchandise into product categories and ranges
- Actively research the market and trends, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports or mood boards following each research trip
- Deliver innovative product, design, development and materials solutions and aligning with key stakeholders to deliver selected products faster to market
- Operate effectively in a matrix structure, working closely with key functional teams across Design, Commercial, Sales and Planning, Category Management, Innovation, Development, Sourcing, Finance, Legal, Brand, Insights, Shopper Design & Merchandising, Shopper Marketing
- Push creative boundaries whilst delivering against commercial opportunities
- Contribute towards cost saving solutions to achieve seasonal margin target whilst retaining creativity
- Responsible for delivering allocated designs as needed from concept through to CAD work, colour overviews, technical specifications and updates, to upload into PLM (or similar), on time against seasonal or project deadlines
- Deliver coloured CAD's which are consumer focused, trend led, well-merchandised and commercially aligned to briefs
- Deliver designs in a clear and concise format and present at design reviews with detailed renderings and technical specifications in the required format in Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Attend and participate at key stage gate meetings and/or retailer meetings, creating professional presentations to clearly portray ideas, trend research, colour and style overviews in Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Actively participate in proto reviews ensuring design integrity is maintained through to final sign-off
- Support Materials and Development Teams to deliver design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process
- Contribute, as required, to updating and maintaining Visual Brand Identity aligned to brand positioning and DNA
- Support creation of marketing materials and range training for any relevant functions and stakeholders
- Maintain communication with superiors at all times throughout the process ensuring your ideas are clearly understood and to achieve and maintain all deadlines
The must haves:
- Educated to degree level or with proven experience in design with an understanding of the market, preferably in outdoor or a category related to our brand strategy
- Strong creative skills with a proven commercial and consumer-focused background
- Proven track record of delivering technical designs with a thorough knowledge of technical specifications, construction and specific manufacturing needs
- Strong sense of UK and international market trends balanced with the importance of originality through innovation
- Strong understanding of how to gain and translate consumer and customer requirements into compelling designs and product opportunities
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills. Knowledge of Excel an advantage
- Proven ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines, managing time efficiently to achieve completion of a professional standard of work and at a fast-pace
- Able to manage and work to deadlines as well as multi-tasking and problem solving
- Very organised, structured and comfortable working towards meeting short-term and long-term objectives and under time pressure
- Ability to influence at all levels of the business and ability to present ideas and gain commitment at a senior level or with retailers
- Experience in working in a cross-functional matrix team and working or collaborating effectively across a matrix business
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Lateral thinker and with an entrepreneurial attitude
- Curious; quick to identify trends and concepts; always looking for ways to deliver opportunities
- Constantly showing initiative, being responsive to change and solving problems quickly
- Passionate about product and design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic with an ability to understand consumer needs and commercial opportunities
- Excellent in presentation and interpersonal skills and ability and aptitude to be consumer and customer facing
- Able to work and communicate cross-functionally at a variety of levels across the business and to create buy-in, support and belief in their ideas within the organisation
- Perceived as credible with an expertise in their area and ability to challenge in pursuit of delivering their objectives
- Driven by delivery; self-motivated with a resilience to drive initiatives from beginning to end
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task
- Organized and structured with their work load
- Flexibility to work independently or within a team and to travel as the role requires
- Able to communicate clearly and with conviction and awareness of functional, cultural and regional differences
- Capable of working and behaving in a way that is true to Pentland Brand’s principles
This job description should be used as a guide; you may be asked to carry out other relevant duties in support of the overall role purpose.
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.