Location: London / Sunderland
Berghaus is one of those rare brands: a pioneer in what we do. For over 50 years, we’ve been
making great value, durable kit that gets you out and keeps you out. We’re fortunate enough to look
back on a rich history of innovations that have not only steered us into market-leading positions but
have fundamentally changed the category for the better.
Yet despite this heritage, we have been quiet for the last few years. In fact, we would go as far as
saying we lost our way a bit. But that’s all about to change. Our guiding mandate right now is to put
this brand rightfully back on the outdoors map and reclaim our status as one of the originals.
We’re getting closer to consumers to create products that will be talked about, reconstructing how the
brand shows up, showcasing our ranges like never before, and collaborating in new and original
To propel us forward, we’re looking for the very best talent to join our journey to transform
one of the world’s most iconic outdoor brands by putting the Berghaus back into Berghaus.
Responsible for delivering consumer centric design for a global audience, aligning to brand DNA and relevant creative direction. Under guidance from the Head of Design and Senior Designers, you will be engaging with multi stakeholder groups across the business to execute modern, focused product propositions against a wide range of briefs.
- In collaboration with the Head of Design and Senior Designers, you will be responsible for delivering product design within Brand creative direction and product guidelines to answer varied product briefs, always with Brand DNA at the heart of all you create.
- As part of a wider team, contribute to the creation of an ongoing creative framework, always considering trend & colour shifts in the wider market, but rooted deeply in Berghaus heritage and point of view.
- Deliver consumer focused designs in collaboration with your key stakeholders against range direction/brief, with a committed focus on achieving targets: Both brand and financial.
- Ensure your designs listen to and incorporate consumer and concept testing feedback, ensuring newness meets our targeted consumer needs and wants
- Ensure own designs have a coherent and compelling offer to seamlessly merchandise into product categories and range, combining desirable aesthetics with credible performance and technical needs
- Deliver coloured CAD's which are consumer focused, direction aligned and commercially exciting.
- Push creative boundaries whilst delivering against commercial opportunities, working hand in glove with the development team to engineer design solutions to target costs.
- Prioritising and delivering against allocated briefs as needed. Managing your seasonal workload, from concept through to CAD work, colour overviews, technical specifications and updates, uploading into PLM, on time in full and to the highest quality, against deadline.
- Deliver designs in a clear and concise format. Present at design reviews, with detailed renderings and technical specifications in the required format in Photoshop and/or Illustrator, to a wide range of stakeholders outside of the design team.
- Co-engineer cost saving solutions with your developer to achieve seasonal margin targets balancing creativity and functionality with profit, taking direction from Merchandising leads.
- Contribute, as required, to updating and maintaining Visual Brand Identity aligned to brand positioning and DNA
- Actively participate in proto reviews ensuring design integrity is maintained through to final sign-off
- Support Development and Materials Teams to deliver design and colour specifications on time and at key stage gates in the product creation process
- Actively research the market and trends, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports following each research visit
- Maintain communication with the team at all times throughout the process ensuring your message is clearly understood
- Any other activities commensurate with the level of this role
- Educated to degree level and/or with proven experience, preferably within Outdoor, Sports, Fashion or Product Design or a related field or area
- Clear understanding and consideration of pattern making, draping, materials, trims, garment construction, fit and manufacturing processes
- Consumer focused with a strong performance product bias and an inherent technical curiosity.
- Strong creative and trend skills, with a proven commercial background
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of "design to cost" and "design for manufacture'' throughout the design creation process
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills. Knowledge of Excel an advantage. CLO 3d or similar a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines, managing time efficiently to achieve completion of a professional standard of work
- Able to manage and work to deadlines as well as multi-tasking
- Very organised, structured and self-motivated and equally comfortable working within a team or independently towards meeting short-term and long-term objectives
- Collaborates effectively to maintain and develop trustful relationships with peers across the business and within multiple functions
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills both one on one and within a group, conveying strong brand empathy
- Communicates with enthusiasm
- Understands cultural differences
- Enthusiastic about design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic
- Demonstrate the ability to use own initiative
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task
- Confident in making design decisions and able to challenge upwards and across functions in the appropriate way if needed
- Asks questions and seeks understanding first
- Is perceived as credible and an expert voice in the area/category
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home
What you’ll get in return
- Competitive remuneration package
- Hybrid / smart working
- Brand and retail perks
- Financial perks
- Travel perks
- Time out perks
- Wellbeing commitment
Who we are:
Pioneering Brands that Make Life Better
We are Pentland Brands, a global business touching the lives of millions through some of the world’s most-loved active and footwear brands. We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, Ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture with Lacoste footwear.
We have a rich and remarkable history, of family, of ambition and of innovation, of leading from the front with a legacy of outstanding brands and equally outstanding people. Of pioneering brands that make life better. Brands that create an emotional connection with our consumers and help keep people on the move. Brands that do good, that form part of a positive business that takes action for people and planet.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop because we know this is an exceptional place to build brands and build your career. We want you to come to work every day excited about what we can achieve when we have a clear and single-minded focus on being consumer-centric and relentlessly focused on improving our performance.
Always guided by our principles, we not only do a great job, but we also do it in the right way; success is a team game; with clarity and courage; better as standard; in good conscience. We believe every individual has the power to shape the Pentland of the future, by making sure that every day we’re better than the day before. Join our team of passionate, exceptional individuals, and do the best work of your life.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.
Apply for this position