Job title: Customs administrator
To provide administrative support to the Pentland Shipping Services billing team and other associated divisions of Pentland.
Pioneering Brands that Make Life Better
We are Pentland Brands, a global business touching the lives of millions through some of the worlds most-loved active and footwear brands. We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture with Lacoste footwear.
We have a rich and remarkable history, of family, of ambition and of innovation, of leading from the front with a legacy of outstanding brands and equally outstanding people. Of pioneering brands that make life better. Brands that create an emotional connection with our consumers and help keep people on the move. Brands that do good, that form part of a positive business that takes action for people and planet.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop because we know this is an exceptional place to build brands and build your career. We want you to come to work every day excited about what we can achieve when we have a clear and single-minded focus on being consumer-centric and relentlessly focused on improving our performance.
Always guided by our principles, we not only do a great job, but we also do it in the right way; success is a team game; with clarity and courage; better as standard; in good conscience. We believe every individual has the power to shape the Pentland of the future, by making sure that every day we’re better than the day before. Join our team of passionate, exceptional individuals, and do the best work of your life.
The role you’d play:
The role would suit an individual with some financial acumen who has excellent interpersonal & organisational skills. The person will enjoy working independently and as part of a team and be willing to take responsibility and ownership for their work.
The role will require communication with all levels in the business plus liaison with some external logistic providers to ensure the costs incurred for Duty and Freight are relevant and accurate.
The must haves:
- Import customs clearances for inbound sea freight and air freight shipments using CHIEF
- A good working knowledge of the DMS customs warehousing system
- Good IT and numerical skills with particular emphasis on MS Office packages & PO Visibility Tools
- Knowledge of SAP is desirable
- Understanding of the HMRC requirements relating to the import and export business
- Ability to prioritise and manage time effectively.
- Commodity code classifications
- High level of understanding of working with freight forwarders
- Having previously worked within a retail environment would be an advantage
- Work closely with the operations team priorities and ensure that key issues are raised on a timely basis.
- Ensure key deadlines are met to facilitate customs entries and achieve delivery of shipments as required by customers
- Work closely with specified Group businesses in all shipping matters to support them in any area where assistance can be provided.
What you will bring:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of working within a customs & excise
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills (Mathematics and English O level / GCSE minimum grade C or above)
- Ability to prioritise own workload and to work unsupervised
- Ability to use their own initiative
- Ability to provide relevant information effectively to management and colleagues
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Good understanding of INCO terms
- Knowledge of SAP is desirable
- An eye for detail and a positive, confident and flexible approach
- Some experience of using SAP would be an advantage.
- Good MS Office skills, particularly Excel.
- Demonstrate involvement in following defined system processes.
- Enthusiastic & numerate.
- Able to meet tight deadlines, whilst maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Flexible, adaptable and responsive to customer’s needs.
- Able to build strong working relationships with senior management teams in Pentland Shipping and Pentland Distribution.
- Willing to take on all aspects of the role with enthusiasm.
- Take ownership and accountability for work.
- Willing to challenge processes, and look for continuous improvements to improve working efficiencies
- Well planned and organised.
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.