Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
This is a unique opportunity for a successful candidate to work within the Brand and Digital unit of Pentland’s Legal team. The role will focus on all aspects of legal strategy across numerous areas including marketing, IP, brand protection, sports marketing, and product innovation.
The role you'd play:
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of commercial contracts, including IP licences, collaboration agreements, influencer and sports marketing agreements.
- Support Pentland’s global brand protection and anti-counterfeiting programme, including during key sporting events such as the Olympics.
- Advise on all aspects of intellectual property, both contentious and non-contentious.
- Assist with the management of the IP portfolio, including working with and supervising external counsel.
- Advise on all aspects of advertising law including social media and online.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify and implement key internal processes and standardisation opportunities across the business.
- Develop, update and deliver legal training programmes on key risk areas.
- Develop strategic relationships with key business contacts.
- Help to set the team’s weekly priorities and deliver on workload.
The must haves:
- Degree in the related subject
- Proven experience, PQE gained preferably with strong in-house experience either direct or via secondment.
- Experience in:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of general commercial and e-commerce related contracts.
- General IP e.g. IP portfolio management, branding, name clearance, litigation, due diligence and brand protection.
- Product innovation, research and development and collaborations.
- Consumer law including advertising, influencer, marketing, e-commerce and promotions.
- Data protection and consumer insights.
- Working in an in-house environment (not essential, but advantageous).
- Working with complex, multi-national organisations.
- Able to work on a broad variety and level of legal matters on a global scale, including issues arising from time to time outside core expertise.
- Highly team-oriented with an ability to develop relationships both within and outside the legal department.
- Hard working, well organised and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Commercially savvy with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking capability.
- Dynamic with excellent interpersonal skills
- Confident and clear in instructing external counsel and challenging advice received.
- Self-sufficient and comfortable working with a minimum of supervision.
This job description should be used as a guide; you may be asked to carry out other relevant duties in support of the overall role purpose.