Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Roles & responsibilities
- Provide a broad range of legal support to the China business unit advising on all of the day to day legal and compliance needs of the business, including:
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of Commercial contracts including supply contracts, consultancy agreements, distribution, terms and conditions of sale, manufacturing agreements etc.
- Advise on all aspects of Consumer Law and Advertising law with the PRC.
- Support and advise on digital legal compliance and e-commerce trading issues.
- Manage and develop locally tailored compliance programmes based on Pentland’s world class legal compliance program in areas such as data protection and ABC.
- Draft and negotiate Retail and Commercial Property agreements, including Property Leases, Retail concession arrangements etc.
- Advise on intellectual property related issues including legal review of Products and Packaging as well as IP clearance work for local product names, branding etc.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in London to provide regional support on issues such as brand protection, supply chain and competition law as well as ad-hoc support to regional satellite offices across the APAC region.
What you need to have:
The must haves:
Experience / technical & interpersonal skillset
- Degree from a top PRC college or university.
- Qualified to practice law in the PRC
- Fluent in Mandarin; minimum business level proficiency in English both written and oral
- Minimum 6 years post qualification experience gained with a reputable law firm or equivalent in-house legal environment in China).
- Experience in:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of general commercial and e-commerce related contracts.
- Advising on PRC law issues (essential)
- General IP e.g. IP portfolio management, branding, name clearance, litigation, due diligence and brand protection.
- Consumer law including advertising, influencer, marketing, e-commerce and promotions.
- Data protection and consumer insights.
- Working in an in-house environment (not essential, but advantageous).
- Working with complex, multi-national organisations.
- Able to work on a broad variety and level of legal matters on a global scale, including issues arising from time to time outside core expertise.
- Hard working, well organized and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Commercially savvy with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking capability.
- Dynamic with excellent interpersonal skills
- Confident and clear in instructing external counsel and challenging advice received.
- Self-sufficient and comfortable working with a minimum of supervision.
What we need to see in you:
This overview gives you a feel for what you’ll be doing day to day but it’s not an A to Z.