“Content” has become a nebulous term, hasn’t it? And at Speedo we recognise that the last thing the world needs is more digital landfill. Everything we put out there into the world needs to resonate with our audiences. Period.
This role is the key to ensuring that Speedo’s content strategy and execution does just that – it resonates, it engages, it evokes a response and it builds brand heat, brand consideration and brand loyalty.
There are two main elements to this role:
First, you will partner with Speedo’s marketing leadership teams around the world to build and define our global content strategy, recognising where the brand must be consistent, but also where local market nuance requires a locally autonomous approach. You will facilitate this group, and create the conditions for sharing of publishing plans and assets will only improve the quality and efficiency of our global output.
Second, you will lead the execution of all content, community & PR activity across EMEA, focusing on our primary & secondary markets. From social to PR to eCommerce and beyond, you will create the engine room that feeds our content flywheel, through an optimal balance of agency support and your own hub of makers & producers through which you create, commission and curate content.
You will bring a deep experience of brands thinking like a publisher, and building audiences through sophisticated application of channel segmentation and application of data targeting. Above all, you know how to make brands resonate in culture, and to use culture as a brand building tool.
Founded in Bondi, Australia in 1928 by an immigrant Scotsman, Speedo has been challenging convention and breaking records since day one. Within a year we had set our first world record in the world's first non-woollen suit, and our winning streak began.
No stranger to controversy, Speedo were the first to bare arms… and ankles and knees too; Placing performance over modesty, our designers stripped away inch after inch of cloth in pursuit of speed. In 1932, aged just 16, Clare Dennis won Olympic Gold at the Los Angeles Games only to have her medal challenged for ‘indecency’ after showing too much shoulder-blade in her Speedo Racerback suit. She kept her medal, and we kept pushing forwards.
In 2008, fuelled by eighty years of innovation, Speedo swept the board at the Beijing Olympics winning 89% of all medals. It took FINA and the IOC to step in to ban our technology to give our competition some hope of competing, but we continue to dominate the pool.
In 2020 Speedo International bought the licence for our North American distribution, uniting what was two separate entities and paving the way for a truly global brand strategy with the competitive advantage that our scale brings.
Pioneering brands that make life better
We are Pentland Brands, a global business touching the lives of millions through some of the worlds most-loved active and footwear brands. We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture with Lacoste footwear.
We have a rich and remarkable history, of family, of ambition and of innovation, of leading from the front with a legacy of outstanding brands and equally outstanding people. Of pioneering brands that make life better.
Brands that create an emotional connection with our consumers and help keep people on the move. Brands that do good, that form part of a positive business that takes action for people and planet.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop because we know this is an exceptional place to build brands and build your career. We want you to come to work every day excited about what we can achieve when we have a clear and single-minded focus on being consumer-centric and relentlessly focused on improving our performance.
Always guided by our principles, we not only do a great job, but we also do it in the right way; success is a team game; with clarity and courage; better as standard; in good conscience.
We believe every individual has the power to shape the Pentland of the future, by making sure that every day we’re better than the day before. Join our team of passionate, exceptional individuals, and do the best work of your life.
The role you’d play:
- Build an ambitious but highly effective global content, community & PR agenda for Speedo, encompassing paid, owned & earned media channels to engage and amplify our existing audience and to connect with new consumers.
- Own our Editorial Content Strategy, ensuring our brand content & channels strike a balance of engaging our consumers whilst delivering brand relevant messages that speak to our brand DNA and editorial narratives, which you will define.
- Form a new Content Marketing Production Unit within the Speedo business, partnering with our agencies and also creating a new network of ‘makers’, producers and multi-disciplinary creatives to commission and collaborate with to shape and execute a content flywheel
- Partner with our eCommerce team to ensure our on-site, CRM & performance marketing content is maximising our commercial opportunities and keeping our site and brand communications optimised
- Lead your team and our media agency to build a new publishing strategy for Speedo, using marketing tools and data to map target audiences to publishing channels, creating community engagement and consumer journeys that flow to conversion
- Define a new Community & Advocacy Strategy, partnering with our Sports Marketing team to rethink how we maximise our reach as a brand through brilliant use of Ambassadors, whilst playing a meaningful role with communities to ensure brand affiliations stretch beyond commercial relationships into partnerships that truly deliver value.
- Set up and chair a global content & social marketing group, bringing together our marketing teams from around the world to align on brand narratives, share best practice and collaborate on projects. Support the creation & management of a global publishing calendar and facilitate the sharing of creative assets across our global teams.
The must haves:
- Just like our founder, you’ll bring an entrepreneurial energy & maverick approach to business and a high level of commercial acumen and ambition
- Your creative judgement is first-class and, whilst you may not be classically trained in creative arts, you will have a natural eye for detail and well-resolved design
- You know how brands grow, and you know how they thrive. You will have a deep & demonstrable understanding of what it takes to build a brand that truly resonates with its consumers, and will be able to coach your team and partners into building a compelling plan for Speedo
- Demonstrable experience in social media management and content production, and an in-depth understanding of how the future of branded content & social media will evolve, and how our brand can prepare to navigate these trends.
- A passion for sport and a deep understanding of popular culture and creative subcultures, and an innate & proven ability to wield culture as a brand building tool
- A natural & experienced leader, able to lead cross-functionally and across global markets
- An entrepreneurial & ‘growth’ mindset, hungry to deliver a step change in a brand’s performance, and a comfortable ‘solution focused’ approach to the occasional ambiguity that growth brings
- You’ll be a team player, always happy to roll up your sleeves, and most likely at your best when you’re in the detail getting your hands dirty with your team
- A desire to be part of something bigger than just a commercial entity, but rather to be part of a family business that wants to drive positive change in this world
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.