Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Our ambition is to make Berghaus one of the best outdoor brands in the world
To achieve this, we recognise that high-end technical products (i.e. Mountain & Extrem ranges) are a critical part of our Consumer Proposition.
We are committed to creating a leading Mountain range that will resonate in both the UK and Europe, with Extrem to follow.
We intend to keep iterating and innovating in Mountain and Extrem season after season to ensure Berghaus maintains its place as a leading iconic outdoor brand.
Your role is part of a dynamic cross-functional matrix team dedicated to these ranges.
This team comprises of a Product Manager, a Senior Designer and Senior Developer
The team will be empowered to work with athletes, industry experts, professional guides and consumer focus groups to ensure we’re making the very best product, that will genuinely resonate in the market.
The role you’d play:
- An expert in Outdoor and/or Sportswear development optimising global advances in new technology and awareness of specific market intelligence to deliver innovative product development and material solutions.
- To lead development on Mountain/Extrem products with proactive product/cost engineering and rigorous cost breakdown analysis, ensuring optimal cost and manufacturing viability to deliver margin requirements.
- Identify gaps in material library, expeditiously resolve material sourcing and development issues working in collaboration with UK and Asia materials teams.
- ‘Right First Time’ creation and translation of all development documentation ensuring clarity and understanding throughout the supply chain adhering to key calendar milestones.
- Interface with Asia team counterparts to optimise development process and prototype approval, empowering ‘close to source’ responsibilities.
- Ensure Insight and customer needs are at the centre of development decision making and product engineering.
Lead fit sessions and prototype review with Design/Product teams, instruct explicit detailed feedback to vendors to ensure accurate interpretation and enabling rapid prototype approval.
- Integration of Quality and CI feedback loops – Risk assessment to ensure early identification and input on product construction, testing, regulatory and safety compliance, manufacturing capability and efficiencies.
- Align with key stakeholders throughout the ‘concept to consumer process’ identify and support implementation of process improvement opportunities
- To provide key milestones ‘hit rate’ statistics for monthly KPI reports – Tech pack creation, testing, prototype approval etc.
The must haves:
- Expert garment and pattern engineer with proven product development experience within a comparable performance product role
- Extensive product and materials experience with a thorough understanding of the market, and consumer preferably in outdoor or a category related to our brand strategy
- Strong creative development understanding and translation into technical and material specifications. Proven track record of delivering cost engineering and thorough knowledge of outdoor product construction and manufacturing needs with specific reference to driving out cost and pattern improvements to enhance margin and reduce waste.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills with ability to scrutinise cost breakdown data and aptitude to qualify and challenge cost opportunities to achieve the optimal product costing.
- Strong sense of UK and international market trends balanced with the importance of originality through innovation.
- Proven ability to work within a critical path, meet deadlines, managing time efficiently to achieve completion of a professional standard of work and at a fast pace
- Organised, structured and able to work to tight deadlines as well as multi-tasking and problem solving with a minimum of supervision and under time pressure.
- Collaboration with the wider development team ensuring clarity of all documentation and actively sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Proven influencing skills at all levels of the business and ability to present ideas and gain commitment at a senior level.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Excel and working knowledge of PLM.
- Curious; quick to identify trends and concepts; always looking for ways to deliver opportunities.
- Constantly showing initiative, being responsive to change and solving problems quickly.
- Passionate about product and design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic with an ability to understand consumer needs and commercial opportunities
- Able to work and communicate cross-functionally at a variety of levels across the business and to create buy-in, support and belief in their ideas within the organisation.
- Perceived as credible with an expertise in their area and ability to challenge in pursuit of delivering their objectives
- Driven by delivery; self-motivated with a resilience to drive initiatives from beginning to end
- Flexibility to work independently or within a team and to travel as the role requires
- Able to convey complex issues simply and communicate with conviction and awareness of functional, cultural and regional differences
- A role-model within the development team and capable of working and behaving in a way that is true to Pentland Brand’s principles
This job description should be used as a guide; you may be asked to carry out other relevant duties in support of the overall role purpose.
If this sounds like the perfect role, please apply and we’ll be in touch soon.