Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the UK licensee for Kickers and have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Everybody knows innovation is important.
Our consumers have an intimate relationship with the products we create. This role will uniquely impact the experience that people all over the world will have when they try on, wear, use and interact with our apparel. This is a highly collaborative role within the Innovation team. You will be the technical expert in your area, showing ingenuity in how you apply your understanding of garment technology and engineering to any apparel innovation challenge. Your innate understanding of what people (consumers) need and desire, combined with a first-rate appreciation of what is technically possible will enable you to navigate the team through the scoping and proof-of-concept stages.
The role you'd play:
- The innovation team turn out a steady-state of exceptional apparel solutions for Pentlands Brands
- Fast always beats slow – you’ll endeavour to find new ways to push yourself and your peers to be agile and inventive in your approach to rapid problem solving
- Solutions for all brands will be engineered to proof-of-concept stage. The prototypes or samples meeting all requirements and specifications laid out during the scoping phase of the project
- We will achieve a healthy tension between desirability and feasibility through a close-knit team culture that supports and challenges everyone to be better than ever
- Expert application of engineering methods and practices will ensure that performance and functional risk is managed throughout the process
- Manufacturability will be baked-in to all apparel projects, you will work alongside the product development team to ensure that cost controls are in place at the appropriate time
- We achieve an intimate closeness with the people that matter the most (consumers) through constant consumer testing and validation. Your hands-on technical ability will help the team to execute rapid “prototype and test” iterations, working alongside the research & testing teams
- The fabric and the product elements work together in harmony, creating the desired experience for the consumer – you’ll forge an ever closer relationship with the materials team in order to work smarter and maximise the quality of the end result
- Your understanding of the latest technological & manufacturing trends will serve as a source of input across the exploration and scoping phases, and your appreciation of the manufacturing environment will ensure a smooth delivery into brand
- Digital will play an ever-increasing role in apparel design and engineering, you’ll look for ways in which digital technology can bring new and valuable benefits to the experience of wearing our apparel
- The technical performance and functional requirements of the product will be clearly defined up-front, and you’ll apply rigour and best practice in meeting these criteria
- The innovation team will augment its capability by drawing on expertise and resources within the brand teams – you will create a support network
- Innovation retain the ability to take projects to commercial trial stage (where appropriate), in this case our apparel solutions will be developed and engineered to a market-ready specification
- You will work effectively alongside your peers, committed to matrix working and diverse thinking as a means to solve a wide spectrum of innovation challenges
The must haves:
- Experience in leading edge apparel/garment development within sports or active lifestyle brands
- Demonstrable evidence of providing technical apparel excellence within an R&D or Innovation environment
- Proven ability to interpret and apply advanced scientific principles and complex technical data
- Evidence of expertise in consumer/user facing trials and validation activity
- Excellent making skills – prototyping, building and refining proof of concepts
- Experience of working with advanced apparel, materials and technology vendors (tier1&2)
- Experience of sourcing new products and/or technologies to meet specific consumer needs
- Proven track record of creating and developing technical apparel solutions that meet the requirements of a consumer led brief
- Appreciation of global compliance standards and regulations relating to apparel products (eg. EN71, ITU, FRSA etc)
- Strong grasp of product risk management methods such as FMEA
- Experience working within cross-functional and matrix teams
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects and workstreams – with varying scale and complexity
- Expert user of CAD/CAE software for the purpose of garment engineering and data management
- Highly collaborative and keen to push themselves and the team forward in positive way
- Able to operate within a diverse team of functional and method experts, prepared to challenge and be challenged
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions
- Driven by what consumers need now, with the ability to envision a future state
- Ambitious, output focussed, commercial and pragmatic
- A strong advocate for their specialism, but able to focus behind the best end result for the project
- Able to balance what would be incredible with what is appropriate
- Willing to stretch beyond their own specialism, adding value across the whole team
- Comfortable with failure as a means to progress