Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation.
We are Pentland Brands, a global family business bringing some of the most loved active and footwear brands to millions of people around the world.
We own Speedo, Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Endura, Mitre, ellesse, Boxfresh, SeaVees, KangaROOS and Red or Dead. We’re the global licensee for Karen Millen footwear and Kickers in the UK. We also have a joint venture partnership for Lacoste footwear.
All our brands have their own unique identities and every one of them is powered by Pentland. We have more than 1,400 employees worldwide and we’re always on the lookout for talented, enthusiastic people to help shape our future.
We celebrate differences and give everyone the freedom to innovate and develop, be it through creative working environments or learning opportunities. Our brands are there in the moments that matter - being there for more people, in more of those moments, drives everything we do.
At Pentland, we’re guided by four principles, we use these to make sure we’re not only doing a great job, but we’re doing it in the right way:
- Success is a team game
- With clarity and courage
- Better as standard
- In good conscience
To find out more go to www.pentland.com or follow @pentlandbrands on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Facebook.
Key Purpose of Job:
Our consumers have an intimate relationship with the products we create. This role will uniquely impact the experience that people all over the world will have when they try on, wear and interact with our apparel.
A highly collaborative role within the creative and technical heart of the innovation function. You will be a creative force within diverse matrix teams who are challenged to identify and tackle the most compelling consumer needs and growth opportunities for our brands.
You are a source of fresh perspectives and ideas, ensuring that we explore all possibilities and develop only the best ideas into apparel concepts that will delight and engage our consumers.Key Outcomes:
- The innovation team turn out a steady-state of exceptional apparel solutions for Pentlands Brands
- Solutions for all brands will be first-rate, demonstrating an unwavering focus on what consumers really need and desire
- Apparel concepts will surprise, amaze and delight consumers – solving their problems and engaging them with our brands
- We will achieve a healthy tension between “what we can do” and “what we should do” – through a close-knit team culture that supports and challenges everyone to be better than ever
- Fast always beats slow – you’ll endeavour to find new ways to push yourself and your peers to be agile and inventive in your approach to rapid problem solving
- We will not be bound by what is possible now, or what the consumer wants now – you will be able to think big and stretch the ambitions of the people around you
- We achieve an intimate understanding with the people that matter the most through constant consumer testing and validation, your creative approach and inquisitive nature will enable us to develop and prove the most powerful consumer truths
- We develop only the stickiest concepts into scalable solutions – your creative visualisation and design ability will be central to how we communicate ideas to our stakeholders and how we gain investment
- We will explore the territory of desirability through apparel form and function – you will provide skill and professionalism to the design and prototyping process, working closely with engineers and materials specialists to fully embody our concepts
- The exploration and scoping phases will be inspired by your understanding of the latest technological trends within apparel markets and industries
- Digital will play an ever-increasing role in apparel design and engineering, you’ll look for ways in which digital technology can bring new and valuable benefits to the experience of wearing and using our products
- The innovation team have the capability to take projects to commercial trial stage and incubate innovative propositions where appropriate - you will be the gatekeeper of the design, ensuring we present the best possible experience to the consumer
- You will work effectively alongside your peers, committed to matrix working and diverse thinking as a means to solve a wide spectrum of innovation challenges
What you need to have:
- Experience in producing leading edge apparel design and innovation from blue sky exploration to commercial realisation, ideally within or for a global sportswear brand or similar industry
- Experience of working with consumer insight, trend, design, innovation, and scientific experts and information sources from across the globe
- Proven ability to generate ground-breaking conceptual ideas based on insights, scientific principles, technology, trends, data and research findings
- Experience of cross functional and matrix team working and integration
- Strong visualisation ability to develop initial concepts and share with internal teams for review
- Skilled in various hands-on prototyping and sampling methods (eg. paper patterns / cut&sew)
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (or similar) and pattern making software such as Lectra/Modaris to explore and present design concepts and clearly define design intent
- Experience with performance materials, technology, digital developments and cutting-edge garment manufacturing methods
- Experience in working with consumers at all levels and experience working with elite athletes / coaches of additional benefit
- Exceptional technical knowledge of garment design and the process of innovation, including latest industry developments and knowhow
- Proven ability of working with external individuals and partners to support design and innovation
- Proven ability to manage and deliver multiple, complex projects in line with project plans
- Strong communication / listening skills with experience in tailoring style and content dependent on the audience as well as understanding cultural differences and requirements
- Proven ability to challenge the norm, think laterally and successfully persuade and influence others.
- Experience in application of computer programs to an appropriate level for the purpose of creativity, data management, presentation, report writing and communication
What we need to see in you:
- Highly collaborative and keen to push themselves and the team forward in positive way
- Curious and driven to look externally and laterally for the inspiration to drive ideas
- Able to operate within a diverse team of functional and method experts, prepared to challenge and be challenged
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions
- Driven by what consumers need now, with the ability to envision a future state
- A strong advocate for their specialism, but able to focus behind the best end result for the project
- Able to balance what would be incredible with what is appropriate
- Willing to stretch beyond their own specialism, adding value across the whole team
- Comfortable with failure as a means to progress
This overview gives you a feel for what you’ll be doing day to day but it’s not an A to Z.